This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Starting a blog can be really overwhelming. I mean, if you’re anything like me, just getting to the starting point takes a lot of time and consideration but then when you sit down to finally do it….well, there’s just so much to it! Lucky for you, I’ve been there. I know what it takes to start a blog…and what tools make it so much easier. Being a Virtual Assistant, I have started many websites for clients and each time I do, I learn something new. That’s why I am so excited to share with you today my personal top 5 resources you must have when starting your blog!
p.s. this post contains affiliate links.For more info, please see my full disclosure here.
- A Good Hosting Company. Just looking for a host (which is the company that you site essentially runs off of- sort of like the foundation for your site) can be crazy overwhelming. I’ve seen many try and try again, just to give up hours later with no progress. A good hosting company is one of, if not the most important part of starting your blog. If you choose a bad host, with bad customer service and lots of downtime on sites- your site will most definitely suffer from it. And you don’t want that. You want to know that your site is in good hands and that , if you ever have a question, you can easily pick up the phone or send an email with a timely response from them. So, what company do I recommend? Blue Host is awesome. And, their plans start as low as $5.95/month (and often times lower during sales!) AND, what’s even better is that it also comes with a free domain name and one-click installation for WordPress! You can learn more here.
- A Catchy Domain Name. Do you have a domain name in mind? If not, that’s okay. If you do, that’s even better! When choosing your domain name, you want it to be the same, or at least similar, to your blog name. You want it to be catchy so people will remember you.
- WordPress. Now that you have purchased hosting, you are obviously going to get on WordPress (please, please get on WordPress…don’t go for a different site builder!) WordPress is so amazingly user-friendly and simple that it really streamlines the process of blogging and makes it fun! Not to mention all of the amazing plugins that you can install in just a couple of clicks—things that would take hours of coding on a different site!
- Patience. I’m not going to lie to you. Blogging can be really, really difficult. But, if you stick with it, you can really grow something big. Don’t expect to make money right away. Actually, don’t expect to make money at all. If it comes, it will make you happy, if it doesn’t, you won’t be let down!
- Good Writing Skills. Don’t expect people to want to listen to you if you have bad writing skills….that’s all I have to say about that. (Pro-tip: use a platform like Grammarly to help your writing get to the next level!)
So, thinking about blogging? Those are the 5 things that you need write out of the gate. What else do you need? Well, a good social media presence is key, and also an email list.
What would you add or change about this list?
p.s. Want some more materials? Here are some awesome books:
See our Airstream Remodel Reveal here!